Christmas FM is coming back on air!
Earlier today our client, the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland, announced that it has granted a temporary sound broadcasting licence to Christmas FM, to run from 28th November to 26th December. The station will be available across the country, playing Christmas music all day, every day! The station’s charity partner this year is Make-A-Wish Ireland and Christmas FM is aiming to raise funds for the organisation through listener donations. Find out more here.
Conversation in the DHR office quickly turned to our favourite Christmas songs, and below is a selection of songs our staff are most looking forward to hearing over the festive period:
Catherine Heaney, Managing Director:
- ‘Silent Night‘ on Christmas Eve (no earlier) when the house smells of polish and spice. The full ‘Nutcracker‘ anytime ahead / over Christmas is also very tolerable.
Joanne Ahern, Account Director:
- My favourite Christmas song is ‘Merry Christmas Everyone‘ by Shakin’ Stevens. I like it because it always puts me in good form. He is releasing an acoustic version of the song this year in aid of the Salvation Army.
Sarah Harte, Account Director:
- It’s incredibly hard to pick just one Christmas song because I love them ALL! Yes, I even have a soft spot for the controversial ‘Christmas Shoes’ song… But if I had to pick one, I would choose ‘Stop The Cavalry’ by Jona Lewie. It’s actually an anti-war song which became a Christmas hit and really reminds me of my childhood as was released in the early 80s. I can always hear my Dad singing along to the chorus every time I hear it! Dumadumadumdum…
Emily Brennan, Account Manager:
- The song that never fails to get me into the Christmas spirit is Paul McCartney’s ‘Wonderful Christmas Time‘! I can’t quite make my mind up if it’s actually a terrible song or not, but either way it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Sebastian Enke, Account Manager:
- I think the song I look forward to hearing is Chris Rea’s ‘Driving Home for Christmas‘ (don’t judge me!). I remember it was on the radio one snowy morning when I drove to my parents’ house for Christmas from where I was living and studying and somehow that memory stuck. For the last few years I have been ‘flying home for Christmas’ from Ireland, so I have to find a new song for that!
Sinéad Duggan, Administrator:
- ‘Fairytale of New York by The Pogues‘ is by far my favourite song of the Christmas season. Not only is it a brilliant song, but it brings back lovely memories of a drive my father and I went on every Christmas Eve when I was a child. Always brings a smile to my face.
Louise Archbold, Account Executive:
- Growing up in Frank Sinatra-loving household, we always had one of his albums on replay. He covered all the Christmas classics over the years but my favourite, the one that transports me back to my childhood, has to be ‘Santa Claus is comin’ to town’.
David O’Donnell, Account Executive:
- My favourite Christmas song is All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey. It’s always a good tune to have a Christmas bop to and it’s in the film Love Actually which we all know everyone secretly likes.
Stephen Hanlon, Account Executive:
- Long before the X Factor dominated the Christmas No. 1 spot in the British music charts, there was a great battle for the Xmas number one in 1973 between Wizzard’s ‘I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday’ and Slade’s ‘Merry Xmas Everybody.’ While Slade may have won the battle, Wizzard were the true winners for me as their British glam rock tune captured my heart and still remains my favourite Christmas song today. If ever there was a Christmas song I’d listen to before 1st December then it’d be this one!
Aoife Johnston, PR & Events Intern:
- I have so many favourites, but since Christmas season is also party season, I love songs that are more up-tempo and high energy. So for that reason, two of my favourite Christmas songs would have to be ‘Oi To The World’ by No Doubt and ‘Santa Claus Is Coming To Town’ by the Jackson 5.